Brittle nails refer to nails that are weak, dry, and prone to splitting, cracking, or breaking. Brittle nails can occur due to various reasons, including:
- Nutritional deficiencies: Lack of essential vitamins and minerals, such as biotin, iron, and zinc, can lead to brittle nails.
- Excessive exposure to water or chemicals: Frequent contact with water or harsh chemicals, such as detergents or nail polish removers, can weaken and dehydrate the nails.
- Aging: As we age, our nails tend to become more brittle and fragile.
- Fungal infections: Certain fungal infections, such as onychomycosis (nail fungus), can cause nails to become brittle and discolored.
To treat brittle nails, it is important to address the underlying cause and take appropriate measures to improve their health. This may include:
- Maintaining good nutrition: Eat a balanced diet rich in vitamins, minerals, and protein to support healthy nail growth. Consider taking supplements, such as biotin, after consulting with a healthcare professional.
- Moisturizing the nails: Apply moisturizers or nail oils regularly to hydrate and nourish the nails. Avoid excessive use of water or harsh chemicals that can further weaken the nails.
- Avoiding trauma: Protect your nails from trauma or injury by wearing gloves while doing household chores or using protective footwear to prevent stubbing toes.
- Using nail strengtheners: Apply nail strengtheners or hardeners that contain ingredients like formaldehyde or keratin to help strengthen brittle nails. However, use these products with caution and follow the instructions provided.
- Treating fungal infections: If brittle nails are caused by fungal infections, seek appropriate medical treatment, including antifungal medications, to eliminate the infection and promote nail health.
It is important to note that if your brittle nails persist despite implementing these measures, it is recommended to consult with a dermatologist or healthcare professional for further evaluation and personalized treatment options.« Back to Glossary Index